Castillo de San Nicolás

This 17th century octagonal defence tower is located at the Paseo Marítimo in Ciutadella and was built by the Spanish to protect the mouth of the port against pirates.

Nearby is a statue of Admiral Farragut, whose father emigrated from Ciutadella to the United States of America. The son (1801 - 1870) came to play an important role in the Amercian Civil war and became the country's first admiral.

The Castell has a drawbridge, moat and turrets. It can only be accessed through its only gate decorated with Baroque-style figures.

Its interior used to accomodate the soldiers and was used to keep food, animals and armanents.

El Castell de Sant Nicolau is one of the two defence towers near the Ciutadella coast, the other being located in Sa Caleta.

It is open to the public during the summer tourist season.

A Natural Paradise


from A - Z